Check My Expatriate Tax Return
FIND OUT IF YOUR EXPAT RETURN WAS PREPARED CORRECTLY
If you did not use Taxes for Expats to prepare your tax return you may have done it incorrectly. To check your work, you can submit the last 3 years of tax returns for an expert review.
WE WILL CHECK THEM FOR ACCURACY AND MAKE SURE THAT YOU:
- Claimed all possible credits and deductions
- Correctly filled out the required forms
We can uncover errors made by other preparers and find opportunities to reduce your tax bill that others may miss.
With our Expat Tax Check service you will receive:
- A PROFESSIONAL REVIEW of your tax return by an expert.
- If any errors are found, EXPLANATION OF POTENTIAL CONSEQUENCES.
- ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO NEXT if any problems are found.
would be applied towards the cost of preparing
an amended return if errors are found.
TAX REVIEW COVERS ALL FORMS INCLUDED IN THE INDIVIDUAL TAX RETURN FORM 1040 OR INDIVIDUAL NONRESIDENT TAX RETURN 1040NR. FORMS 2555 AND 1116 ARE ALSO SUBJECT TO THE REVIEW PROCESS.
This service does not cover financial reporting and non-personal returns (business, trust, partnership, etc.). It includes the following deliverables:
- Notifying the client whether the original tax return is correct or not.
- Notifying the client of the potential consequences of the errors found.
- Notifying the client whether the refund justifies the cost of amendment.
What do expat taxes and Goldilocks have in common?
Expat taxes have a lot in common with the famous children story - The Story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. First thing you should realize is that the government sees the IRS as a profit center - they are there to extract the maximum possible amount from every taxpayer. They will use every tool and trick at their disposal to accomplish that goal.
For example - if you miscalculate and pay too much (by not using all available exclusions and deductions) the government will happily keep the money. Otherwise if you make a procedural mistake and improperly fill out a form (weâre not even talking about an actual tax underpayment) the IRS will annul your expat deductions, add fees/interest on your return and demand that you pay extra taxes.
Therefore as an expat American it is equally dangerous to fall on either side of filing a 100% correct tax return.
The risks you face are twofold:
- Incorrect tax calculation - resulting in either an overpayment (the IRS will never tell you) or underpayment - in which case Â they will demand the money and assess large fees & penalties (see IRS Letters).
- Technical errors - will allow the IRS to cancel your expat exclusions & deductions and assess a large tax bill.
Just like the Goldilocks needed to sleep in the right bed (not too big or too small) - your expat tax return must be 100% correct.
How you can put 20 years of our expertise to your advantage
In the normal course of business we often encounter clients whose previous returns were filed incorrectly (both self-prepared and done by inexperienced CPAs) â resulting in large overpayments or penalties assessed by the IRS.
This is why at Taxes for Expats we introduced the Check My Return service. It offers you a risk-free way to ensure that your expat tax return was filed properly. It doesn’t matter if you did the return yourself or used another tax firm - we will check it.
What’s the catch?
The best part - there is absolutely no catch.
The review includes the following deliverables:
- Notifying the client whether the original tax return is correct.
- If errors are found, we’ll notify you of the potential consequences.
- If a refund opportunity is found, we’ll explain whether the refund justifies the cost of performing an amendment.
Once you receive the summary of our review you will either have the confidence that your return was prepared correctly or we’ll tell you how we can fix it.
Ok - where do I sign up?
On the following page pick the “Check My Return - ” option and fill out the rest of the fields. This will create your account on our system and allow you to upload relevant documents for our review.